Friday, May 2, 2008

Day 2 ..the journey continues..

OK just a quick update... Slept through the night...put the Lyrics in sleep mode which returned me pretty close to my Pre-Lyric hearing and some stuffiness as they act like an ear plug. Heard the alarm still and hit snooze..turned on Lyrics and was dumbfounded at how loud it sounded when it went off again.



It was difficult to find a comfortable position as I mentioned there is some discomfort that seems to come and go (Right ear was bad yesterday not today) and lying on my side seemed to put pressure on the ear and made it more noticeable. I am gradually coming to like these very much..absolutely no one noticed for those of you who wonder. They are invisible!



Again not having a basis for comparison I don't know if what I am "hearing" is normal or just a result of the Lyrics. I am getting lots of sounds that I did not hear before such as small beeps my phone makes when I dial, ticking and clicking on lots of things, speech comprehension is MUCH better and I find I don't have to look at the person as directly to carry on a conversation. There seems to be an overall amplification of all noises so the difference between being in a car that is sitting and one moving along the road is dramatic. I'm using a sort of self gauge to judge things..Digital radio volume in car sitting is at 8..while moving...11 and PL (Pre-Lyrics) 15 while moving. Background amplification is not bad but future versions should look at filtering of some type or audio shaping.



Two things that have me wondering:



The fit and comfort seems to change without anything I can corelate to...yesterday Right ear pressure almost to the point of pain and today almost unnoticeable. Left ear yesterday unnoticeable but today pressure..Hmmm... slept on it wrong?



Second on occasion the sounds become very "speaker like" as if I am listening to a radio while most of the time it is much more natural. Can't seem to figure out why or if triggered by something. My own voice is that way often natural but occasionally sounding like I am hearing it through a speaker system. Not awful just curious...



Showered this morning without problems and am feeling much better about these except for the above items.

4 comments:

Gila said...

I wonder if the discomfort is due to swelling coming/going in your ears as they get used to the intruder?

I am getting a new hearing aid in a few weeks (inside the ear, but not a lyric). Am told that it should be far better than the over the ear model.

How did you lose your hearing?

Baila said...

Came to you through Gila. I was an audiologist in my former life. I'm glad you decided to give the Lyric a try (they didn't exist when I practised). It sounds like you're doing okay with them. I think that withing a couple of weeks they will feel entirely natural. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Any more updates coming? How has the first month been?

DirtyDawg said...

Hi PVDad. I'm wondering too, since the trial period is long past now. Did you decide to keep the Lyric hearing aids? Would love to find out where you stand today, whether with the Lyrics or with whatever you tried next.